Wednesday, August 8, 2012

God Bless The Philippines!

I believe its been almost a week now since the flood started. My relatives (mother's side) live in Sta. Mesa, Manila. They post pictures on Facebook constantly and its just horrible and heart breaking. Most of my relatives live in the same area. In fact, their houses are right next to each other. You can't miss the four apartment-style two-story houses when you pass by it. Anyways, since their area is kind of low, it gets flooded every once in a while but this time its very bad.

More than a year ago, a typhoon called "Ondoy" hit the Philippines and the flood went all the way up to the second floor of their houses. It was horrifying. On a weird but positive side of the story, my relatives are taking pictures on their rooftop with smiles on their faces and the flood as their background. In a way, it made me smile. But that's how Filipinos are! Why would you cry during hard times? It'll just keep reminding you of how bad your experience was. Put a smile on that face and laugh it out with the ones you love.

Anyways, back to the flood. It was so bad that my relatives had to evacuate from their homes to a hotel, which is actually just at the end of their street. Also, almost every company and schools in the flooded areas cancelled office and school hours.

I'm not really sure what the typhoon is called this time but I hope it goes aways soon. I know everyone is safe for now but it still feels uncomfortable not being in your own home.

I'm typing this because I encourage everyone to donate some blankets, clothes, canned foods etc. Even inflatable boats for transportation. I've been researching organizations where you can donate to. I'm trying to avoid the ones that only takes money because you're not really sure where that money is going to go to. Instead try to find organizations that take donations of the items I mentioned above.

Just to give you an idea on how bad it has been in my family's street, here are pictures that my cousin, Karen, posted on her Facebook profile:
Street-side stores under dirty water
Yes! that's a canopy!



Click the link below to see a list of non-profit organizations you can donate to.

eBay is putting the Philippine Flood on spotlight so they could get support and relief.


Thank you for reading this somewhat long blog and I hope you all at least consider to donate something. If not please pray for The Philippines. GOD BLESS YOU ALL! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...